Job Title: Certified Medical Assistant - Covid Triage Clinic
Working under the direction and supervision of the Charge Nurse, the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) will work in the Covid-19 Outpatient Clinic. Duties include performing nursing procedures prior to the clinicians visit with the patient while assuring positive care outcomes.
Job Type: Full-Time/Part-Time Temporary Position
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-exempt (Qualifies for Hazard Pay)
Reports to: Charge Nurse
- Consistently projects a professional and courteous demeanor, helps establish and maintain the highest service standards for the practice and complies with Desert AIDS Project (DAP) house and telephone standards;
- Ensures patient safety;
- Directs patients to exam rooms;
- Gathers patient health maintenance data;
- Obtains and records vital signs;
- Conducts health screens as assigned;
- Assists with patient flow during clinic hours;
- Maintains and assures appropriate restock of exam rooms on a daily basis;
- Checks equipment to insure proper functioning;
- Prepares exam rooms between patients and between clinics;
- Maintains laboratory logs;
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures;
- Maintains strict infection control by donning and doffing personal protective equipment;
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information;
- Shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive;
- Maintains medical supplies in accordance with established protocol;
- Completes all paperwork in a timely and efficient manner, assuring that documentation is complete before leaving at the end of each shift;
- Requests and retrieves client files as needed;
- Assists patients as needed;
- Routes documents as required in the EHR system;
- Performs pharmacy call backs in a timely manner;
- Answers telephones and relays messages accurately and expeditiously;
- Interfaces effectively in a team environment with agency staff and volunteers;
- Handles crisis and stressful situations in an effective, calm and respectful manner;
- Performs other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Graduate from a high school, or possession of a certificate of proficiency issued by the California State Board of Education, or possession of a G.E.D. certificate;
- One year experience as a Certified Medical Assistant in a medical practice;
- Experience in review of laboratory reports to include patient instruction;
- Experience in handling and disposal of bio hazardous materials and specimen;
- Familiar with computer programs and ability to learn and use the EHR system in house;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or similar platform;
- Proficient in verbal and written use of English grammar.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience with the Epic EHR system;
- Experience working with LGBTQ, homeless and vulnerable population;
- Experience working in FQHC or similar outpatient clinic setting
License(s) and Certification(s)
- Current National or CA State Medical Assistant Certification or within 3 months of hire;
- CPT I Certified (CPT-1 certification current with the State of California) or pending certification.
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross accredited BLS certification.
Working Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a clinical setting and requires frequent times of sitting, standing, walking, speaking and repetitive motion. Ability to lift up to 24 pounds. Job usually involves contact with patients or patient specimens. Exposure to blood, body fluids, non-intact skin or tissue specimens, is possible. Access to patient protected health information required.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything that is required of the employee for the job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
This job requires full proof of authorization to work in the United States without any future requirement of sponsorship for work visa.
Affirmative Action Plan (AAP)/Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and a Drug Free Workplace. In order to obtain a culturally diverse staff, we encourage applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. Applications from minorities, members of the transgender community and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of Desert AIDS Project to provide equal employment opportunities for applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, age, disability or any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws. Desert AIDS Project welcomes the opportunity to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation during the employment process, please notify People Operations. Any employment relationship with Desert AIDS Project is at-will. This means employment can be terminated at any time, with or without notice or cause, at the option of either Desert AIDS Project or the employee.